Tuesday, December 11, 2012

I'm Sorry I Sneezed On Your Hand, Sir.

It's no secret I've been sick.

After a long weekend of bedsores, however, I'm back at work. Nothing has really changed except I am now in an upright sitting position. It is safe to say, though, being sick at work, is downright embarrassing.

I share an office with another coworker. And fortunately for her, she gets to hear my incessant coughing, sneezing, and hacking. In the most polite way possible, this new mother has made it fairly clear that she's staying distances away from me. Swift walking as she walks by my desk and spoken words separated by a tall partition are just a few "subtle" clues.

In our weekly Monday meeting, those around me were more than willing to nothing less than share a chair to make space between themselves and me.

Today I was told that my organizational skills were needed in a downstairs office. "Hooray," I thought. The shunning has ceased. Much to my dismay, I was planted in an office, alone, putting packets together. I do, however, feel incredible sorry for those receiving the packets. Whatever Purell failed to do will be stuck with you.

During my packet filling, a coworker decided to brave the journey into my personal space for some quality time. Among the delightful conversation of upcoming trips and places we'd like to visit, the conversation was cut short after I seemed to have sneezed on his hand. I have officially been given up on. The others have apparently learned from this one courageous soldier's fall. I've verbally committed to holding my breath as I approach or walk by.

This will teach me for settling on the goods from the Doc. Note to self: stay home next time or negotiate your prescription.

Thanks for soundin' down.

..........

catechism ( /ˈkætəkɪzəm/Ancient Greekκατηχισμός from kata = "down" + echein = "to sound", literally "to sound down" (into the ears), is a summary or exposition of doctrine, traditionally used inChristian religious teaching from New Testament times to the present.[1] Catechisms are doctrinal manuals often in the form of questions followed by answers to be memorized, a format that has been used in non-religious or secular contexts as well.