Friday, January 18, 2013

It's A Sad Story

Up until this point, my posts have been rather sarcastic, humorous and generally entertaining. I know you are all adding "really" and "incredibly" in front of those adjectives and I thank you.

This one, however, is not so much.

It's no secret to my friends and family that my relationship is hard. My boyfriend travels for a living. Not just a few days at a business conference, but for months at a time and all over the world. The thing of it is that he loves what he's doing and so do I, I just wish I could ride a unicorn along side him and we travel together on rainbows and ho-hos rather than the alternative.

He left yesterday for another tour. And it was hard. They're always hard. We spend the entirety of the antecedent day pretending like nothing's changing. We do whatever we can to push out the inevitable and attempt to enjoy ourselves.

And then it comes, because nothing you can do will hold the sand between your fingers. You feel it coming and it's all you can do to fight for air as you suffocate.

But this time, there's another one. I got Lucy for Christmas (yes, I'm talking about my dog again.) She hasn't been around very long and isn't very old, but what's so crazy and out-of-this-world is how she picks up on it.

After I watched a few re-runs of Monk and drank some tea to calm myself, Lucy, of course, started tearing up the carpet. "Here we go," I thought as I ran for the scissors to limit what she had ahold of. As I reached for the utensils, I turned around and she was just sitting, so majestically, staring at me with her sad eyes. I stopped and it all came flooding back. As I collapsed, she ran to me and licked away every tear as if to say, "I know." It was here I realized, she was just as sad and felt what I felt.

Yes, she may eat through my straightener and take everything out of the trash every single day, but I know she's going to help me. And definitely distract me. And I can't be more thankful and understand Blake's cunning ways of this gift.

So, it's Lucy and I against the world this time and I hope time will forge on like the roadrunner rather than hang on my heart.

Thanks for soundin' down.

..........

catechism ( /ˈkætəkɪzəm/Ancient Greekκατηχισμός from kata = "down" + echein = "to sound", literally "to sound down" (into the ears), is a summary or exposition of doctrine, traditionally used inChristian religious teaching from New Testament times to the present.[1] Catechisms are doctrinal manuals often in the form of questions followed by answers to be memorized, a format that has been used in non-religious or secular contexts as well.