Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Tales from the Past

Storytelling is one of my favorite things. Especially, if wine is involved.

After my memory was sparked, a story, which had been passed to me, resurfaced and I believe it's good enough to pass along now.

I feel tied to this story knowing my childhood was very similar. I grew up with two older sisters. That doesn't mean bows and ribbons, it means hair pulling, conniving, malicious fights and being picked on. Being so much younger, there were many times I felt hopeless in getting revenge, unless it were tattle tailing which always resulted in another fight.

Anyway, back to my story.

After boys grown to men, an extended family took a camping trip. Many cool nights around a campfire brought to life beer drinking, goofing around and reminiscing. A set of brothers were two frequenters of these bonding, nightly escapades and, too, got caught up in storytelling of their childhoods.

After many stories, laughs and beers passed, a quiet lull set in on the oldest brother. He looked at his younger sibling, put a hand on his shoulder and relayed, "You know, I'm sorry about all the awful things I did to you. I know it couldn't have been easy and I'm sorry if I was ever mean or annoyed with you. And even after all I had done, you used to ask me if you could give me a hug every night before bed. And I couldn't believe you cared that much."

Sidebar.
I think it's safe to say that every child who has a sibling, at some point, will feel this way and apologize for their actions. I've gotten an apology from one sister, still waiting on the other. Cough, cough.
Sidebar over.

The younger looked up to his brother, much like he'd done his whole life, despite the fights and history between them. A slow smile stretched across his face and he thanked him for his apologetic words. "It's okay," the younger said, "When I used to hug you every night, I would wipe a booger on your back in revenge."

Hope you all enjoy your own sibling rivalry!

Thanks for soundin' down.

..........

catechism ( /ˈkætəkɪzəm/Ancient Greekκατηχισμός from kata = "down" + echein = "to sound", literally "to sound down" (into the ears), is a summary or exposition of doctrine, traditionally used inChristian religious teaching from New Testament times to the present.[1] Catechisms are doctrinal manuals often in the form of questions followed by answers to be memorized, a format that has been used in non-religious or secular contexts as well.