Tuesday, April 9, 2013

I Would Do Better As A Crip

So, I moved to LA.
 
It was a long planning process, leaving my heart and mind so much time to be back and forth between doubt and certainty. In the meantime, my California-experienced boyfriend was sure to fill me in on what to expect and what will most likely surprise me.
 
The following is a list of what my predisposition of LA consisted of:
  • People are rude
  • People are really rude
  • People drive like maniacs
  • Traffic sucks
  • Going to the bar is like taking out a small loan
  • Everyone is in a gang
  • There are drugs and heroin needles lining the curbs
  • You will never see the sky again
 
 
Now, ask me, "why after all of those things would I decide to move here?"
 
The following is a list of why I moved to LA from Nebraska:
  • It's not snowing
 
 
So, now that I've lived here for a whopping two weeks, the following is a list of what I've really experienced:
  • People have been really nice - I think my devout certainty of rude people is being over compensated for people actually being humans, and not assholes.
  • People drive like maniacs - This is still fairly true. Some people are nuts. I was honked at 12 times the first week I was here. My middle finger has had a lot of use.
  • Traffic sucks - This is absolutely still totally true. It takes me a little over an hour to drive to work. I looked it up on google maps and was disappointed to find it's 22.4 miles away from my house.
  • If you find the right bars, you can still get cheap drinks - Thank Christ.
  • Not everyone is a Blood or a Crip - It took me 23 years to realize it was crip and not crypt. Although given the choice, blue is my favorite color.
  • I haven't stepped on any heroin needles - We went to the beach and my roommate stepped on a bee. That's about as close as we got.
  • I can see the stars on my patio - Smog is a problem here, but I'm far enough out of downtown LA, I actually get to enjoy the sky, so, booyah.
 
All in all, I was pretty much wrong. Turns out, this place is pretty f'in great.
 
Thanks for soundin' down.
 
 
..........
 
 
A catechism ( /ˈkætəkɪzəm/; Ancient Greek: κατηχισμός from kata = "down" + echein = "to sound", literally "to sound down" (into the ears), is a summary or exposition of doctrine, traditionally used inChristian religious teaching from New Testament times to the present.[1] Catechisms are doctrinal manuals often in the form of questions followed by answers to be memorized, a format that has been used in non-religious or secular contexts as well.