Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Selfies, Ugh.

This is a selfie.





















Sometimes I think I get what selfie's are, but mostly, I don't. I'll be honest, I've taken a selfie. I was under the impression it was that once in a year time you had a great hair day, or you have a black eye, or some other unusual and unique purpose that everyone should acknowledge because one may be unsure as to when it will happen again.

My new sunglasses are cool. Also, alcohol. 



















I'm eating chicken nuggets at 9 am.



















I look like I'm in Van Halen
However, it's become unavoidably clear that an actual selfie, a real-time selfie, is just whenever you want to take a picture of yourself. Sure, if you grab my phone you'll see pictures of my face because sometimes people look at me funny and I inconspicuously want to make sure there isn't spinach in my teeth or black shit all over my face. A selfie is one way to do it. However, this does not mean that this selfie should be posted on any socia media outlet, unless of course the picture is hilarious, then, by all means, make someone laugh today.

I looked up the definition of selfie in the Urban Dictionary, and here you go..
A picture taken of yourself that is planned to be uploaded to Facebook, Myspace or any other sort of social networking website. You can usually see the person's arm holding out the camera in which case you can clearly tell that this person does not have any friends to take pictures of them so they resort to Myspace to find internet friends and post pictures of themselves, taken by themselves. A selfie is usually accompanied by a kissy face or the individual looking in a direction that is not towards the camera.

This definition could not be more spot on and filled with my kind of humor. Although, I feel Urban Dictionary missed out on one important aspect of the selfie--the same picture posted without a clear definition of importance, followed with a caption that is in no way relevant. See below.

























There also comes a time when it seems as though one picture frequents social media sites, but reads varying captions. See below.
















I think it's not only important to note how ridiculous this is, once pointed out to oneself, but that everyone in America shares this feeling. In an article published in Time Magazine, they claimed that anyone born after 1980 is narcissistic and lazy, spending copious amounts of time taking selfies and not learning to work like the good ole days. This links to the summary version of this article.

Now, to a point, a very infinitesimal point, this article has, well, a point. I'd say we are a little narcissistic. I can't get on Facebook or Instagram and miss a selfie. (Myspace is irrelevant because we're not 12 anymore or pedophiles.) A selfie every once in awhile is perfectly acceptable, so let's stick with that.

After reading the Time Magazine article, most of it enraged me. It was not strictly focused around selfies, but about the lack of ability of our generation. Until one fine day, when I stumbled upon this article that totally redeems "us kids." Enjoy!

Regardless, I think it's important to double-think the selfies. Is this necessary? Can I look back at my 10 most recent pictures and will there be a similar one? Again, is it necessary? These are just a few questions physicians encourage one to ask themselves. It's in a legit pamphlet from Yale and everything.

Thanks for soundin' down.

..........

catechism ( /ˈkætəkɪzəm/Ancient Greekκατηχισμός from kata = "down" + echein = "to sound", literally "to sound down" (into the ears), is a summary or exposition of doctrine, traditionally used inChristian religious teaching from New Testament times to the present.[1] Catechisms are doctrinal manuals often in the form of questions followed by answers to be memorized, a format that has been used in non-religious or secular contexts as well