Monday, March 17, 2014

St. John Smith's Day

Happy St. Patty's Day, America.. Since this holiday has become an American tradition.

As someone who has taken part in parades, irish car bombs, green clothing explosions, and irish car bombs (did I already say that?), I've always enjoyed St. Patrick's Day. So this year, I've been doing my best to avoid any part of it, seeing as I am still sober during the Lenten period and I have no shame in admitting I can't stand up to peer pressure today.

And this got me intrigued. Why do we celebrate St. Patty's Day? The drinking, the green-ness, the snake thing--what the hell happened to make those things a holiday? So, I did some research.

Turns out, we're wrong.

St. Patty's Day is recognized as a day honoring St. Patrick, a non-Irish man who brought Christianity to the pagans in Ireland. March 17th is the day he died and, therefore, designated as a day of memorial.

Also, he didn't do anything with snakes, so no one is really sure where that shit came from. Some say a bible reference, but scientific research shows no plethora of snakes in Ireland.

The three-leaf clover was used by St. Patrick to explain the Holy Trinity, Father, Son and Holy Ghost.

The honorary color of St. Patty's day, is actually blue?

To top it all off, Ireland does not celebrate St. Patrick's day like America. No green, no leprechauns, and no alcohol poisoning statistics going up.



It's safe to conclude that we, as Americans, have taken an Irish religious holiday and turned it into a ridiculous, outrageous, drunken ordeal.

And that, my friends, is why I live in America.

Happy fake-celebrating and, mostly, drinking.

Thank's for soundin' down.