Friday, April 10, 2015

That's How I Got to Memphis

It seemed like it would be just another Saturday night.

We set up the details of the party, got the drinks in order, and awaited the ringing doorbell. It was a birthday party celebrating two of my dearest friends. And not just any birthday, but the 30th year.

The crowd shuffled in and hugs and friendly conversations were exchanged. We shared laughs, polaroids, and some pretty stellar dance moves. 

I found myself taking time to specifically talk to everyone there. I wanted to make conversation between those who had become my friends over the last two years. And after taking a moment to watch the chaos of a gathering of close humans, I felt the mood switch. 

A night like this, could be one of my last. My fiancé and I have decided to make a life change. Although we know it's not a permanent change,we're moving back to Omaha. He's going to be touring for the next few years, and we decided, for our future, it would be the best move, pun intended. We'll be able to save money, thanks to the low cost of living in Nebraska (praise 'em!). And we'd like to save money to buy a home.

Before we find the place we'd like to start our lives, I'd like to spend some more time near my family. I know these years will be so valuable before any big changes come, and I feel like I'm on a miniature missionary trip, that involves Husker tailgates, beer, and the unpredictable weather of the Great Plains.

California will be hard to leave. I tear up even as I type this. The last two years have introduced some of the best people I have ever met. I've created long-lasting and deep friendships with so many people, it's hard to believe it's only been a short time. It will be so difficult to be away from those I love here, knowing that my visits back won't be as many as intended. But, I guess that's life.

So, when the party that Saturday was in the swing of things, the birthday boys decided to give their guests a surprise. They performed a song. It held the same challenges I felt about moving away and the choices you make in life that get you to where you are. And while Memphis can mean Chicago, a new job, or a lost relationship to some, to me, it means a place to start anew, while coping with leaving loved ones behind. And although my journey may not be a big one, or a particularly interesting one, it's the journey that has gotten me to my Memphis. And the people that make up the road on this journey mean the world to me. 

The answer is you.

That's how I got to Memphis.

Thanks for soundin' down..



There are not enough captured moments to commemorate my overflowing love.